Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trials, Joys, and a "Being Real" test

Right after I posted the blog on being real, I had a chance to really see if I was going to be real or not. I had written the "Being real" blog on Saturday and set it to run on Sunday morning.

Sunday was just a rough morning. We stayed up WAY too late on Saturday night and I woke up on Sunday morning exhausted. Then I got all worked up about something that wasn't really a big deal, but with being so tired, I ended up getting really upset about it. Honestly, I was ready to crawl back into bed, but I knew I couldn't and shouldn't do that.

Shortly after getting to church, the question came, "So, how are you Kathryne?" I had a choice to be real or fake. Thankfully, I had the guts to be honest and tell this lady that it had been a rough morning. I think the lady who asked me was shocked at my answer because she is so used to hearing "Good, great, etc." But, it gave me an opportunity to say that I want to be real, that I am not going to be dishonest about how I am really doing. We didn't talk at all about what was bothering me, but it led into a good conversation on just being real and transparent.

I am so glad that I went to church, even though I was emotional at church too. Pastor had a great sermon on trials. We have been doing a series from Ephesians and he had his message all planned out, but decided to change it late on Saturday night because he just felt like so many people in our small congregation could use a lesson on going through trials successfully. I am so glad he did, because it really challenged me. Here is a little synopsis:

1. Trials are to be responded to with joy. How?
a. Trials put God in an "obligated" position (Abraham)
b. Trials strengthen your faith in God (Abraham)
c. Trials are a pathway to promotion (Joseph, Jesus/Spurgeon)
d. Trials are a tremendous teacher (Peter)
e. On the other side of the trial is tremendous joy (Job)

2. Trials are seasonal.

3. Trials grieve the human spirit.

4. Trials are diverse.

5. Trials test the genuineness of our faith.

6. Trials are refining us for eternity
a. They make us more persistent (developing a "no quit" attitude)
b. They make us more perfect (Christ-like)
c. They make us more prayerful
d. They make us more stable

7. Trials are rewarded in eternity.

Here in the "G Home," we have had our share of small trials recently. For a few weeks straight it seemed like anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. To be honest, I will admit that I did not respond well to many of these trials. I was so convicted by the message because I had NOT been responding with joy to the different trials/temptations AT ALL. My sinful nature was really coming through.

I had some apologies to make that afternoon. I know that God uses trials to refine us, but I was really letting them frustrate me instead of refine me. I am so thankful for the Lord's forgiveness. He is so good.

And, because I haven't been very good at posting pictures like I wanted to be, I thought I would include one of my sweet husband and I that we took on a Saturday afternoon.



Kathryne

0 comments:

Post a Comment