Friday, March 26, 2010

A Baking Fail

This blog post is linked up to Friday Fails with Myra at My Blessed Life. If you have any fails to share, feel free to link yours up on her Friday Fails page.


Last week we had some friends over from church for dinner. This couple is fairly new to our church and we had been trying to have them over for awhile, but it just hadn't worked out. It ended up falling into place at the last minute so I was scrambling for what to make for dinner. Thankfully I figured out the dinner portion and I had enough ingredients to do the apple cake from the recipe that I posted the other week.

I had just enough time after work to get dinner together and then put the apple cake in the oven while I got ready. I took a little taset of the batter from the bowl while cleaning up the dishes. While getting ready for them to come, my stomach started feeling a little funny. It was like I'd had some pop because my stomach almost felt fizzy, if that makes sense. But, I hadn't had anything but the little taste of apple cake batter. I started putting two and two together and wondered if there was any baking soda in the recipe.

I had to stop getting ready and check into this. The cake hadn't been in the oven too long and it just had tiny little air bubles on the top - no big deal. But, I looked at the recipe and instead of calling for baking SODA, it had called for baking POWDER. Unfortunately, I distinctly remember putting baking SODA in. Oops. I decided to let it keep baking and see what happened. About fifteen minutes later I took a peek and this is what I found.


Oops. I knew pretty quick that this wasn't going to be presentable. Here is a little better look after I took it out of the oven.


Thankfully, our guests were running about twenty minutes late and I had just enough ingredients to throw another batch together.

Definitely learned my lesson on this one. Has anyone else ever switched baking soda and baking powder? If so, I'd love to hear your story.
Have a great weekend!
Kathryne

0 comments:

Post a Comment